UPDATE UPDATE

Wow, after several years ive decided to try and resurrect this little blog of mine. I recently told a friend I missed having a place to write. Then out of nowhere a blog "challenge" if you will came about on a public group im in. So here I am and I'm going to try and keep this thing going. Bare with me as I make changes and update content. Feel free to sift through my old posts, you just might learn something new about me....

Saturday, December 12, 2009

I'm a D-list blogger.

Woe is me. No one knows my name (blog), guess I should eat some worms? *sigh*

So last night on thebump some of us lesser known bumpies (I'm KMS1025 if you care) were talking about how we feel like our opinions and questions don't matter much. For example, I could post a very important question about say, a sick baby - is this temp too high, was that too much spit up, is this reflux etc. and get maybe 50 views and 3 comments in response. A more popular bumpie (for the record I like the popular bumpies, they just hardly know me lol) could post something like "ugh, nothing good is on tv" and they will get 500 views and like 30 responses to it. Seriously? For what it's worth, when I type random posts like that I still don't get the responses or views that they do, i'm just picking random examples here people, please follow along.

I still post often, but I hardly ever admit to things because I fear being "flamed". Now I can't figure out for the life of me why an almost 26yr old mom (my bday is Jan 5 if you are keeping track) and wife is soo concerned with what thousands of online ladies think of me. Perhaps it's because I was always fat and the outsider in school, I still have that need to be liked and fit in? Problem is, I don't fit in. I'm not always worried about a slight fever or the amount of poop or color of it for the day. I'm just not the type to call the pedi all day long for questions about if it's safe to let Aiden meet Santa this year. He did, and it was a mall santa, and I didn't think twice about it. Also if you read my previous posts, you'll see how I allow my son to sleep on his tummy, which *gasp* other ladies would NEVER let their child do. That's fine, I understand, but that's why he's my son. Hey, we need sleep in this house people and I believe God will do what he wants in my life no matter what I do!

SO I just don't share on thebump like I wish I would. When I started on thebump I was 15 weeks preggo. I think I was left out from the start because I never was asking if I could eat hot dogs, or saying how much I missed my one can of diet coke a day. I ate nothing BUT hot dogs for a week this summer, I had sushi, I had up to 2 cups of coffee a day (per my dr for my headaches) I used Tylenol PM to sleep every night etc. I just am not the type to call my dr all the time for a funny feeling etc. I just trust my instincts. I know that people 50 years ago didn't have all these restrictions about hot dogs - why should I stress over it now? I just didn't "fit" the normal pregnant lady on thebump. Oh, and I had a crap-ton of stretch marks before pregnancy, so I didn't whine "over 1 on my hip!", eh, I look like a cat used me for a scratching post people. Guess what, 2 month post baby and my hubby still loves me and dare I say it, makes love to me just like before I was all stretched out and flabbier than usual.

All of this led to another online factor of popularity... blogging. Yep, we all were being "sad and sorry for ourselves" as my husband would say. We were talking about how we blog for ourselves, and it's great to be read by ANYONE, but we always want more. One lady said she saw someone else have a D-list blog button. I need one! We all said "oh, i'll follow you if you follow me" etc. Sad thing is, even among the lesser-known fellow woe is me women... I followed 4 new blogs and gained 1 new follower. That is life, you give some and get less.

Now I do love my blog, I love sharing my thoughts, my photos, funny stories, or just have some place to vent. I do have some wonderful readers, active readers at that, who comment often, share opinions with me, and I've even gotten 1 award and 1 spotlight at BellyItch! I would have hoped the spotlight would have brought me more readers though...

I write this today because I am near my 200th post. I want it to be special. I want to have more readers. I want to be "popular". I want to have a giveaway. I can't do anything grand because I don't get, or know how to get for that matter (leave a message if you can help with this) free products to review for my readers. I would love to do some reviews, but I don't know how to get started. Point is, I want more blog love. My goal for the end of the year, which is fast approaching, is to go from 48 followers, to say 75. Is that asking too much? I want people to ACTUALLY read my blog too - you know, FOLLOW it.... if you read this, please don't just hit follow to help my numbers, that still wouldn't make me bump up to a C-list blogger.

So there you have it. My woe is me, I'm not popular, I want to be a "real" blogger post. Now, i'm off to hold Aiden - cuz I'm like, totally popular with him!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I can give you some advice on one thing--if you want to do reviews, start reviewing products that you have and use. Companies will find you. Also, sign up with sites like MyBlogSpark or One2One network. They will send you leads. I know what you mean about the online "popularity contest." It is hard work, and sometimes doesn't make any sense at all. Hang in there! You've got a good thing going on. (PS--Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!)

PPS-I am going to follow you!

Cameron said...

happy SITS saturday sharefest!
the best way to get more interaction on yoru blog via comments is to comment on other blogs regularly etc!

Will now follow, come on by!
Cameron
www.conquerthemonkey.com

Jenn Erickson said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! I hear ya, SITSta. I don't have any experience with thebump, but being a blogger certainly has its ups and downs. It takes a lot of time, and when it comes from the heart it can be hard not to take everything very personally. Be true to yourself; blog for pleasure; keep networking, and the fans will surely follow. I'm following...stop by Rook No. 17 and say hi!

kBw said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog :) I am glad that you found SITS. I am new to SITS too and I think that you will find that these fellow bloggers are some of the nicest bloggers you'll meet. I have had a lot of people check out my blog and I have in turn found a bunch of blogs that are now on my "must read" list.

I think Jenn is right you have to blog about you. Be true to who you are and people will find you. And as for the product reviews, Lolli is right. Just start reviewing products you already use regularly and the companies will find you.

I think your blog is fabulous. Sending you lots of love and I hope that things start looking up for you in the blogging world!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest.
xo, KA

Jennifer said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! That's the best way for you to bring new readers your way :) And to get comments and answers on the questions you pose - have an amazing Saturday!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I read this article to find out tips to get more traffic: http://editorunleashed.com/2009/05/28/the-editor-unleashed-guide-to-good-blogging/

Also, I found that people who write more outrageous, drama-filled stuff seem to get the most hits.

Find the popular blogs, and comment...make it witty or silly...someone will come visit your blog.

Ya gotta find your niche. I've been doing this since May, and I haven't found mine. There just aren't a lot of old lady bloggers out there.

I enjoy reading your blog...I love seeing how Aiden is growing, and I, for one, am glad you're not fretting about every fart and bowel movement the kid produces! (oh, was that outrageous? lol)

I'm Jamie said...

a) I was not the "typical" Bumper either. And now I'm not the "typical" Pooper either (haha- I guess that's what I'd call being a member of The Poop:). I let my son crawl in the dirt. I have a glass (or 2) of wine at night and I'm still breastfeeding. He has a pacifier. He hasn't gotten a flu shot. The list goes on... Point is, you are not alone! And heck, what is "typical" anyway?!
b) I read you REGULARLY... and I hope you feel my comment-love:) I actually am only a "follower" of 1 blog (my MIL's) but I will start to follow. And now you've sparked my curiosity... does anyone follow my blog? How many posts do I have? (*runs to go check*)

Kat said...

I'm an unknown bumpie too!! (katgapp). Let's both help for more comments and followers ;)

iplayitbyyear.blogspot.com
gappinger.blogspot.com

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm not popular either. I used to worry what other people thought about me but now I don't care. Maybe I'm getting older, who knows?

Ashley said...

I have no idea what the bump thing is. SHould I know about it?
blogger is the only thing I do...and a little FB, but I am getting over that. It keeps giving me virus stuff I think!
So, I just had to make my blog private again. I think someone at my work found it, and I DO NOT want them reading some of my most recent material!!
So, I inivted you. let me know if you have issues getting to see it.
my email is kiwisandcocktails@gmail.com

Noelle said...

I just read your blog and I really hope you meet your goal by year end. As you know I've been following you for some time now and I enjoy all your entries. I write my blog as a diary for me in a way. If friends and family enjoy it, that's wonderful too. I just like going back and seeing what experiences i have had. Life goes by so fast, and we are all so busy. it's nice to have something to remember it by. xoxo

Beth Chupp said...

I'll follow ya! I have been looking for new blogs to read and follow-yours looks like a great place to be! I am also on the bump and now have a 2.5 month old with a rare genetic syndrome (check out www.karingforkeegan.blogspot.com) and dont feel like I fit in on any of the boards! You are not alone! I assure you!

Okie Rednecks said...

The popularity thing always sucks! I hate having the want to have more followers, even though it is for me. I also enjoy following you on twitter! Hope you have a gread day!!!

JayJayGhatt said...

just chiming in to say I started my blog as just a personal diary about my last pregnancy and I started reviewing products I have and use. At some point, product manufacturers see your reviews and eventually contact you.


Eventually, b/c my blog was in the Google directory or Blogger directory, people would find me doing searches. I blogged about unique stuff I found interesting that apparently wasn't elsewhere on the net so my blog would pop up 1st under "most expensive stroller" for example.


You can also join Twitter Moms and Blog Friendly PR and other groups that aggregate bloggers and market to companies.

Chin up. I'm going to do an update post this week and hopefully you may get traffic. I monitor my outgoing traffic and I must say, there are some that follow you from Bellyitch.

(((hugs)))

Aiden is a cutie pie too btw!

KLZ said...

Over from D-List.

I vote sign up with companies that are looking for bloggers like SheBlogs. It'll happen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails