UPDATE UPDATE

Wow, after several years ive decided to try and resurrect this little blog of mine. I recently told a friend I missed having a place to write. Then out of nowhere a blog "challenge" if you will came about on a public group im in. So here I am and I'm going to try and keep this thing going. Bare with me as I make changes and update content. Feel free to sift through my old posts, you just might learn something new about me....

Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Review: Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

This book was a random find at Target and I really enjoyed it. Here is what the back cover of the book said that made me want to read it....

PARIS, JULY 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door-to-door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard – their secret hiding place – and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released.
SIXTY YEARS LATER: Sarah’s story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research, Julia stumbles onto a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own romantic future.

The first thing I had to know was "did he get out of the cupboard?!?" and of course I can't share that with you because if I did it would ruin the book for you!  I am surprised I didn't cry while reading this book.  It was a very eye opening book.  Everyone knows about the Holocaust, some know more than others of course, but this book touched upon the events of the Vel’ d’Hiv’ {a stadium where Jews were held before going to Auschwitz}.  The french police were the ones who went and arrested the Jews, not the Germans, and so a lot of people didn't know what was going on and what to think.  It was interesting to read some of the lesser known events of the Holocaust, this book has a lot of facts, but by no means is historical or overloaded with facts. 

You follow the young girl Sarah and Julia as she learns about Sarah's past and find out more about her future.  Julia has struggles with her family, her husband and grows as a mother when she learns more about the children affected in the past, like Sarah and her brother.  The two stories are easily intertwined and I has no problem following along.  I plan to pass this book along to my mom and would suggest others read it too.  I hope you enjoy if you give it a read. 

1 comments:

Fidgeting Gidget said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. I want to go to Paris now just so I can see the plaque that is there commemorating what happened. If you liked this book, you should check out Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, it was great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails