UPDATE UPDATE

Wow, after several years ive decided to try and resurrect this little blog of mine. I recently told a friend I missed having a place to write. Then out of nowhere a blog "challenge" if you will came about on a public group im in. So here I am and I'm going to try and keep this thing going. Bare with me as I make changes and update content. Feel free to sift through my old posts, you just might learn something new about me....

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Book Review: A Ship Made of Paper

This was a great read!  My mom bought this one for me and told me I would love it, she was right!  This book is a National Book Award Finalist and reminds me of something Oprah would suggest.  I would have a hard time summing this book up for you because I'd probably give too much away or make it sound boring.  Here is what the back of the book says:
Daniel Emerson lives with Kate Ellis and is like a father to her daughter, Ruby. But he cannot control his desire for Iris Davenport, the African-American woman whose son is Ruby's best friend. During a freak October blizzard, Daniel is stranded at Iris's house and they begin a sexual liaison that eventually imperils all their relationships, Daniel's profession, their children's well-being, their own race- blindness, and their view of themselves as essentially good people.  A Ship Made of Paper captures all the drama, nuance, and helpless intensity of sexual and romantic yearning, and it bears witness to the age-old conflict between the order of the human community and the disorder of desire.
It was a very quick read and I would suggest it to anyone.  I will say however that I was not a huge fan of the ending.  It was one of those that left you deciding what happened on your own.  It hints at the authors plan for the characters, but I personally like the end of a book to have a clear end.  None of this "make up your own ending".  That is the only thing I would change about this book.

1 comments:

The Shavers Family said...

I cannot wait to read this book, I really appreciate the review & suggestion as I am always looking for something new to read. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails