UPDATE UPDATE

Wow, after several years ive decided to try and resurrect this little blog of mine. I recently told a friend I missed having a place to write. Then out of nowhere a blog "challenge" if you will came about on a public group im in. So here I am and I'm going to try and keep this thing going. Bare with me as I make changes and update content. Feel free to sift through my old posts, you just might learn something new about me....

Monday, February 27, 2012

Club Foot

Tomorrow is Eli's first appointment with Shriner's Children's Hospital.  He will be getting his first set of casts to correct his club feet.  I've had a lot of mixed feelings about this the last couple days.  I know that in order for him to walk, run, jump, play he needs to have his feet corrected.  It's really the only option for us, he needs it, and we want him to be able to grow up without any challenges.  The thing that is killing me is that his feet are so perfect to me.  I don't want to change them.  They are who he is, I have only known him this way.  His feet are what make Eli, Eli.  I feel like we are agreeing that Eli is crippled and needs to be fixed.  Like he isn't perfect and normal the way he was born.  Plus, I don't want to change him.  After tomorrow he will physically never look the same.  That just breaks my heart.  I've spent a lot of time crying today over this.  I just don't know how I'm going to handle tomorrow.  I want him to be fixed, but as a mom it just makes my heart sad.  I took a lot of pictures of his little feet today.  So here you go, the last look at his toes this way....

Only a few days old here





2 comments:

Teach-ME-Mom said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. My daughter also has club foot. I went through a lot of the same emotions you wrote about. I loved her feet just how they were, but as I looked more at how children with untreated clubfoot (especially in developing countries) suffer later in life, it made me realize that it would all be worth it in the end. We didn't know she had club foot until she was born, and hers is only on the right side. We started casting at 3 weeks, and she had her heel cord tenotomy at 8 weeks. She's been in her bar and shoes for months, and it seems just a part of her. She will be 8 months old soon, and it has gone so fast. We've gotten to the point that the bar is just life, and we joke that every baby should come with a handle. :p
I will be following your journey!

denellclc said...

Hi! Our son Alex was born 11/15/11 with left club foot. We knew when i was 17 weeks pregnant by ultrasound. Because I was 40 the genetics counselor told us that due to his "major birth defect" our risk of downs and trisomy 18 were 1 in 2. We had such a scary journey that we were so happy that he was ok, crooked foot and all:) I felt like it was part of his identity too but knew how important it was to initiate treatment right away. At 1 week old he started his casts. He was born a month early so he was casted for 10 weeks until he was old enough to have the tenotomy. He has now been in his shoes and "handle" for 8 weeks. It is such a part of him that we barely it. I would love to figure out how to post his pic! Our biggest challengebhas been finding jammies w no feet and snaps up both legs! Gymboree has had the best ones. I too would love to follow your progress! It is hard to see him change but so good at the same time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails