UPDATE UPDATE

Wow, after several years ive decided to try and resurrect this little blog of mine. I recently told a friend I missed having a place to write. Then out of nowhere a blog "challenge" if you will came about on a public group im in. So here I am and I'm going to try and keep this thing going. Bare with me as I make changes and update content. Feel free to sift through my old posts, you just might learn something new about me....

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Writer's Workshop: My Wedding Song

1.) Write about your wedding song. What was it and why did you choose it?

When Kris and I got married there was no question at all about what "our song" would be.  Let me back up and tell you the story of our song before I tell you what it is.

When we first met I had just gotten out of a bad relationship.  I had been heartbroken to the point of needing to move home to have my mom take care of me, physically and emotionally.  It took me a full year to really recover and to be able to move on.  I went to Seattle {where I lived for this bad relationship of 3 years} and saw friends for my birthday in January 2008.  I saw my ex after nearly a year and I had this moment of peace.  There is no other way to describe it.  Unfortunately for him he had a different moment when I was there and made up his mind to beg for me back.  I left Seattle crying as I drove, and finally felt like there was a reason he broke my heart.  I learned what I really am worth and what I don't need from a relationship.  I learned that I deserved someone who wasn't a liar and who could tell me "I love you".  It was a great eye opening experience.

My first day back to work after my little vacation, I saw Kris.  This wasn't the first time I'd physically seen him.  He'd been waving to me and saying hi almost daily for a month and had been secretly watching me for a couple months.  However, after my vacation and moment of clarity that I had really found ME again, it was the first time I'd SEEN him.  He had the sweetest smile I'd ever seen and all of a sudden I couldn't get it out of my head.

Fast forward a few weeks and we are dating seriously and even starting to talk about how we think we are already in love, but that it wasn't scary it just felt right.  He told me there was this song that he had been playing a lot lately, and that it reminded him of me.  How he had a trouble past with love and now it all seems worth it to have found me.  I laughed and said "oh yeah, is it THIS song - it reminds me of you!".  Sure enough, it WAS the same song!  We quickly tagged it as "our song" and when I would stay the night at Kris' place he would have it playing quietly on repeat ALL.NIGHT.LONG while we slept.  It was cheesy, but very sweet and it made me smile every time I woke up. 

It was a no-brainer for us that "our song", Rascal Flatts "God Blessed The Broken Road", would be our first dance and our wedding song.  It is our song in every way.  We both have checkered pasts, but all of that was worth it when we found each other.  It became clear why we went through everything we had - it was so we would know each other, and see our potential, when we met.  When I hear the song come on the radio randomly it still brings a tear to my eye.  I'm so grateful.

1 comments:

Care said...

I love that song. Such a sweet story!

Here is the link to the edited pic. Just right click and save the file to your comp :)

http://kipper.smugmug.com/Family/July-2010/t7l72appnice/944939150_fsmsc-X3.jpg

Related Posts with Thumbnails